Commercial fishing is a very complex business which can flourish only if certain requirements are fulfilled in a proper manner. These requirements (factors) are detailed as under:
- Large and wide continental shelves act as ideal fishing grounds. For example, Grand Bank (NE UDA) and Doggar Bank (North Sea).
- Broken coasts provide calm waters which serve as excellent breeding places for fish.
- Abundant supply of plankton (small micro-organism) is required as food for the fish.
- Commercial fishing needs a large fishing boats industry to provide sufficient number of boats.
- Cold climate is best for fishing activities because it helps in preservation of fish.
- Large storage houses are needed for commercial fishing. These should have refrigeration facilities.
- The fishing industry should be well-organized and patronized by the public or private sector.
A well-organized marketing network is needed for fish trading, imports or exports.