Forests play an important role in making the countries prosperity, pollution free and beautiful. Main function of the forest are as below:
- The forests give a beautiful look to a landscape.
- The forests make the climate temperate.
- The trees help to control erosion of soil.
- The forests act as an ideal habitat for wild life.
- The trees are a source of timber and firewood.
- The trees purify the atmosphere.
- The trees are a source of fruit and rubber.
- The forests offer recreation spots.
- Forest ecosystems are important components of the biosphere.
- Forests provide a wide range of essential goods such as wood, food, fodder, and medicine.
According to international standards, at least 25 % area of a country should be covered by forests. Almost all the developed nations fulfill this requirement. Presently, Russia is at top with 3.28 million square miles of forest area followed by Brazil (2.1 sq.m) and Canada (9,44,294 sq.m).
Forest Area percentage of the Countries
|Sr.||Countries||Total Area of (000HA)||Forests 2005||Percentage|
East Timor has 53.7 percent of its total land area under forest cover which is highest rate in the world. Brunei is the second with 52.8 % of its total area. Bahamas lies third in number with 51.5 percent of its total land area. Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is fourth with 51.4 %.
Forest in Continents:
South America leads all other continents with 47.4 percent land area under forests. Europe is second with 44.3 % and North and Central America thrid with 32.9 % area under forest cover.
|Continents||Total Land Area||Forest Area 2205||%age|
|North, Central America||2143910||705849||32.9|